Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
August 18 Beginner's Trip
This weekend's beginner's trip will once again take place on the Nantahala River.  The plan is to meet at the Patton's Run put-in between 10:30 and 11:00 am.  Boats will be unloaded and the shuttle will be run.  If you plan to participate (beginners and experience boaters alike)  please communicate your intentions by replying to me (zinggds@gmail.com).  If there are no replies the trip will likely be cancelled. 

If the trip is a go, there will be a group meeting at Fort Sanders West at 8:00 to carpool to the Nantahala. Again, if you don't communicate that you want to participate in the carpooling and you are late we may leave without you. Traditionally, we eat dinner at the NOC after paddling, if you participate in the carpool you need to keep this in mind.

A couple of notes for boaters who have never paddled the Nantahala, 1) a pass is required to paddle the river.  If you are driving yourself to the Nantahala you can pick up a pass at Brookside Campground or the Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) the cost is $1.00 for the day or $5.00 for the season.  We can also pickup up day passes at the NOC when we run shuttle.  2) the water is cold and unlike the Hiwassee, most of the paddling is in the shade.   Regardless of the air temperature, very warm clothing is necessary.

In summary, if you are going to participate you need to let me know preferable by Thursday evening August 16, I also need to know if you plan to carpool. Finally remember you need WARM (non-cotton) clothing. 

Hope to see you this weekend.